Friday, February 10, 2012

Compulsion

As I cyberstalk various literary agents I get a taste of each of their personalities. It's kind of like dating. I look at their interests the books they've sold, things they like to read, movies they like. I can get a sense of who they are by reading their blogs or twitter pages. If I don't like their personality, I move on. Occasionally I'll develop a huge nerd crush, and agonize over personalizing my query to speak to them.

I've been perusing through the interviews and blogs of the agent who sold THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, and I came across a quote that sums up why I spend 14 hours a day editing, polishing, and querying. Why I can't stop plotting the sequel or percolating new ideas.

"If you think you can give up writing, then give it up. If you can't ... if you know that no matter how much stress or rejection or frustration you face, that you can never stop writing? In that case, never give up. Publishing is too hard to face if you aren't in it for the right reasons. But it's not too hard to break into if it's what you need to do."
  -Jim McCarthy

1 comment:

  1. I would wager that you're a better writer than the author of "Forest of Hands and Teeth". Really did not like that book. By the end, I didn't give a _____________ (insert whatever here) about any of the characters.

    We love you, btw. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

    ReplyDelete